Alamy Review – view on a remarkable Stock Agency (+10% Off)
Alamy stock photo agency is one of the oldest and biggest stock photo agencies on the internet. It has a huge collection of stock photos, continues to re-invent how people use and search for stock photos and recently did a website makeover to make photo searching an easier and faster task. Their soon to be patented search engine is unique and revolutionary in the industry. With a database of over 69 million images, this has to be their customer focus. Let’s move forward in this Alamy review.
22% Off on All Imagery
Alamy was originally a microstock agency that has turned to microstock to increase their customer base and change as stock photo use changes. The licenses still reflect a macrostock agency with royalty free and rights managed licenses available. They continue to focus on the commercial and designer markets but recognize the ever increasing public need to acquire quality and inexpensive stock photos. Their new website design, which was launched in April of 2010 has successfully incorporated some key features that are attractive to one time purchasers, bloggers and web designers.
Alamy is not only a stock image seller but their website tools show that they are interested in educating their users about stock photography, how to use it and support the need for understanding and communication. Their stock photo glossary and their resolution and image sizing lessons are helpful for any stock photo user.
Alamy is dedicated to leveraging efficiency and technical know-how to open up opportunities in the microstock market. The recent release of their IPad app attests to this. Additionally, in May of 2011 they launched a dedicated German Website for this international market.
Alamy Review Basics
- Over 69 million images making Alamy the largest stock photo database
- 65,000 images added everyday
- Alamy has been online since 1999
- File types sold on Alamy are stock photos, illustrations and vectors
- Accepts payment by PayPal, Visa, American Express and MasterCard
- Royalty free and rights managed licenses available
- Soon to be patented search engine that is Searchable by: keywords, categories, licenses and buying options, region, ethnicity, release date, orientation and more. The new search engine is easy to use and navigate
- IPad app-free
- Languages including: English and German with international contact emails in Canada, USA, Germany and India
- Alamy has their corporate headquarters in Oxford, England with offices located in 4 other countries.
Alamy offers a direct buying option and does not use credits or subscriptions. They believe that users should buy Alamy stock photos not credits, so all purchases are done per photo with prices shown in US dollars, Euros and British Pounds. This direct buying makes purchase prices transparent, licensing costs easy to understand and buyers can buy what they need when they need it.
Alamy direct buying:
- Prices from $14.99 USD
- Registration is free
- Buy in US dollars as exchange rates are best in USD.
Direct buying Pros
- Prices are transparent
- Licenses can be added to your shopping card if needed and charged accordingly
- No calculations required to determine the actual cost of images as there are no credit options
Direct Buying Cons
- No discounts are available for bulk purchases or long term users
Image Searching Tools
Alamy has created a new search tool that is so easy to use that they have applied for a patent for the technology. It is easy, finds the stock photos that you are looking for and provides many options without being cumbersome. Their categories are extensive, keyword searches use four options for searches that are not coded so you do not have to memorize codes for a good keyword search.
Search options are defined as follows:
Keywords including advanced keyword search
- Licenses and releases
- Collections-all or creative
- Number of people
- Image type
- Date taken
- Minimum file size
All of these categories expand to include subcategories so your search is refined, search results are relevant and you can easily access their Creative collection for unique and higher quality images.
Alamy Licensing Options
Alamy has two licensing options, Royalty Free and Rights Managed. Rights Managed includes exclusive and non-exclusive categories with the licensing particulars determined at the time of purchase. The rights managed licensing tool helps buyers determine their needs. The layout is easy to use and clearly outlines options.
Rights managed image buyers need to answer the following questions in the licensing tool before they purchase and the price of the image is determined: Image use, details of use, image size, pirnt run, inserts, placements, starting dte, duration, territory and industry. This calculation and outline takes a few seconds and the buyer is provided options in each category.
Add-ons and Special Features
- Creative Collection– The new Creative Collection is a series of creative images that are stunning, conceptual images from top international stock shooters. Images are collected from premium photographers, cutting edge agencies and include flexible pricing. all in one place. Searches can segment the creative collection.
- IPad app– The free Alamy IPad app highlights daily featured images from their international network of photographers, specialist collections, and national archives.Due note that the IPad app does not feature all images but is perfect for the designer on the go.
- Education -Two information and educational resources are featured on the Alamy website. There is a stock photo glossary that explains stock photo terminology and the resolution/image size tool that helps new designers determine the best image for their needs.
- National Geographic Image Collection– Alamy has an exclusive National Geographic image collection that highlights the best of the best in worldwide photos. This is a unique collection in partnership with National Geographic.
How to Search for Alamy Stock Photos Video:
Alamy is a seasoned player in the stock photography business with over 12 years in the industry. Their recent website re-design has launched some exciting, up-to-date tools for photo searches, licensing needs, technology needs and most importantly speed. Alamy wants to be and seems to be the leader in speed in all areas of their website and the stock photo buyers experience.
If you are looking for deals, this may not be the site for you, but their prices are much more competitive, their licensing options inexpensive and for a one time buyer, the overall savings could be better than credit based stock photo agencies.
Check out their new re-design and collections for a better understanding of the functionality of their website, stock photo agency and high quality images. We hope you liked our Alamy review.